POSITION: Housing Navigator
Reports to: Director of Residential Services
SUMMARY: The Housing Navigator will need to have extensive experience and knowledge of Public Housing Authority and Housings subsidy (ie, Section 8, Shelter Plus Care, HFSS). The Housing Navigator will function as the contract manager, housing case manager, and housing representative of the House of Ruth. Th~ Housing Navigators will provide individualized client support by helping each client develop a,plan to address their barriers, increase their income, and maintain and sustain permanent housing. The goals are to end homelessness where it already exists, prevent it where it’s about to exist, and when it cannot be ended immediately, to ensure that services are provided to the most vulnerable individuals first whenever possible. Competitive candidates must have experience working respectfully with people in crisis who may have multiple complex needs including but not limited to domestic violence. Driving may be necessary for business. For position(s) with occasional/incidental driving, incumbents must possess a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Client transport may be necessary.
1. Achieve knowledge of the contracts and grants working under.
2. Maintain client related data tracking systems, including case notes and complete HUD
3. Prepare case-related reports including outcomes, successes and challenges.
4. Generate client data for monthly reporting.
5. Maintain complete and accurate documentation of service objectives and outcomes as well as other services in accordance with federal, state, county and House of Ruth guidelines.
6. Complete follow-up and retention services, and provide back-up documentation in client database.
Outreach and Relationship Management
1. Outreach to community, business owners, realtors, landlords, housing developers and other service providers to identity new and existing opportunities and build strong relationships to better assist clients in accessing resources, employment, supportive services, and housing opportunities.
2. Attend collaborative meetings.
3 Network with other agencies, coalitions, and local community meetings.
4. Actively participate in staff meetings and trainings.
Responsibilities: Supportive Services
I. Responsible to fulfill the overall mission of the House of Ruth.
2. Assisting survivors/victims with finding and maintaining housing.
3. Conduct screening interviews, complete intake documentation and coordinate move in and exit of all transitional housing participant’s.
4. Provide coordination of case management services and navigation services designed to assist clients and their families obtain stability.
5. Provide self sufficiency workshops in the areas of independent living skills, transitional program house meetings, social events, employment linkage, benefits establishment, and other services as needed to assist in reaching case plan and treatment plan goals.
6. Perform initial comprehensive case management assessment and develop a plan of intervention that addresses need for housing, services, crisis intervention, and continuity of care planning and coordination.
7. Respond to referrals and client’s request for case management assessment and
intervention within required response time.
8. Encourage and promote an environment that is strength based to assist clients in meeting their individual goals.
9. Enforces House of Ruth’s Fontana 10-plex, and 4-plex transitional apartment units occupancy policies and procedures.
10. Will communicate regularly with Property Manager, any tenant issues, safety hazards, program issues that may impact occupancy and/or tenant safety, any requests from the city of Fontana, and any surrounding community issues that may impact the apal1ment complex, directly to House ofRuth’s Residential Director via email or phone.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE Education: Completion ofa bachelor’s degree program in Social Work or closely related field required. Experience: At least two years working directly with people in crisis, homelessness and/or survivors/victims of domestic violence. Has a strong knowledge of and LAHSA guidelines. Bi-lingual (English and Spanish) strongly preferred.
COMPUTER SKILLS Computer literate -HMIS Service Point strongly preferred, Outlook,
Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Google Docs.
Competencies: Ability to meet deadlines, exhibit critical thinking skills, communicate clearly and anticipate problems, strong organization skills, and attention to detail. Excellent communication skills both oral and written, ability to manage and organize multiple task (short and long term), ability to manage and prioritize time and responsibilities. Excellent customer service skills. Ability to Work in a variety of settings including shelter and other community settings as well as the office environment. Job Knowledge/Technical Knowledge: Demonstrated knowledge of domestic violence and systems advocacy. Has a sound working knowledge of current role and the technical systems, applications and equipment used in performing this role, and understands the impact this role has on other business functions within the organization. Skills include: Motivational interviewing, Housing First, Trauma-Informed Care Crisis de-escalation skills Social issues related to domestic violence, homelessness, and poverty.
‘Communication: The ability to write and speak effectively using appropriate convention based on the situation; actively listens to othel’s, asks questions to verify understanding, and uses tact and consideration when delivering feedback to others. Establish positive rapport with a variety of people, some of whom may have had negative experiences with service providers in the past. Maintain strict confidentiality, and maintain professional ethics and boundaries. Comfortable with public speaking and “cold calls”.
Organization: Uses time efficiently by prioritizing and planning work activities.
Integrity and Respect: Demonstrates utmost level of integrity in all instances, and shows respect towards others and towards company principles. Work respectfully an,d effectively in a multicultural environment. Judgment: Demonstrates ability to make independent and sound decisions in all situations. Make recommendations for changes or appropriate actions to partner agencies and supervisors in a respectful and collaborative manner. Teamwork: Shares key information with others involved in a project or effort, works in harmony to accomplish objectives, responds with enthusiasm to directives, and shows support for departmental and organizational decisions.
Quality: Sets high standards and measures of excellence to ensure quality assurance in every aspect of work performed. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with community pal1ners and perform multiple tasks simultaneously. Accountability: Takes personal responsibility and ownership for adhering to all company policies and procedures while also completing work timely and in accordance with performance expectations. Ability to work and complete tasks independently with minimal supervision. Customer Service: The ability to demonstrate a series of activities designed to enhance the level of customer satisfaction. Work Hours/Schedule Regular -Normal work hours and days assigned based on a 40-hour workweek. Some nights,and weekend meetings might be required to meet the need of client schedules.
Qualified applicants should send cover letter and resume to Melissa Pitts firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone or e~mail inquiries. please.