POSITION: Legal Advocate
FUNCTION: Under the direction of the Community Services Manager, and within the scope of the agency’s goals and objectives, the Legal Advocate provides support, information, advocacy, and court accompaniment to victims of domestic/sexual abuse, including assistance with protection orders, civil and criminal hearings, and legal referrals. The Legal Advocate is not a lawyer and does not give legal advice.
HOURS: 37.5 hours per week. Must have the ability to work a flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends.
QUALIFICATIONS: BA Degree or combination of education and experience in a legal or domestic violence setting. Experience in preparation of restraining orders, victim services and the criminal justice system. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Computer literacy required. Demonstrated ability to maintain effective working relationships. Familiarity with legal issues facing immigrant women experiencing domestic violence.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in criminal justice, social work, or related human services field preferred. Other Bachelor’s Degree with relevant work experience will be considered.
- Experience in preparation of restraining orders, victim services and the criminal justice system.
- Have empathy and passion for working with victims of domestic violence.
- Bilingual. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess good organizational skills
- Ability to speak publicly and to present information on Domestic Violence to diverse people and organizations.
- Ability to respond supportively to persons in crisis and assemble relevant facts
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and other PC skills as deemed necessary to position
- Must have knowledge of and interest in women’s issues; particularly the dynamics of domestic violence, stalking and sexual assault.
- Valid Driver’s License, a working motor vehicle, and proof of current vehicle insurance.
Duties And Responsibilities:
- Work with clients by phone, in individual meetings, and in court.
- Provide direct service to domestic violence survivors needing legal advocacy.
- Provide information about personal protection order, family court, criminal court, crime victim assistance, immigration remedies and legal procedures.
- Develop and/or Provide information and referrals about legal resources and other community resources.
- Assist clients in safety planning, identifying options, and problem-solving.
- Provide client-specific advocacy to meet identified client needs, such as contact with other service providers, law enforcement, and others.
- Assist clients in filling out personal protection order paperwork, filing, and attending court hearings.
- Accompany clients to family court hearings and other hearings as required.
- Keep supervisor informed of high-risk situations in work with clients.
- Provide direct service training, supervision, and consultation with relief staff, interns, and volunteers as assigned.
- Develop worksite safety plans with participants and employers.
- Provides backup to both Residential Case Managers and Community Services Case Managers.
- Assist with answering the 24-hour crisis hotline as necessary, including the Spanish Hotline.
- Attend trainings and continuing education activities as assigned.
- Active participation in weekly team meetings about client needs, scheduling, and other team issues.
- Must be able to maintain professional boundaries.
- Attend agency staff meetings as required.
- Facilitate community partner meetings as assigned to address issues of access to service for domestic violence victims.
- Provide professional training to groups such as law enforcement and other partner agencies.
- Participates in House of Ruth Emergency Response Team to complete implementation of Domestic Violence Protocol.
- Responsible for special projects such as development of training programs and presentations to law enforcement agencies, community agencies and community groups to inform about domestic violence problems and how to deal with them.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com