POSITION: Residential Relief Advocate
FUNCTION: Under the direction and supervision of the Residential Director, and within the scope of the agencies goals and objectives, the Residential Relief staff is responsible for providing appropriate services to program participants and for shelter operations during assigned shift.
HOURS: PT 16 hours, includes evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Answer and respond to hotline calls.
- Conduct phone intakes with potential shelter residents, arrange for transportation into shelter, and complete physical intake paperwork and orient clients to shelter.
- Monitor, encourage, and support client’s adherence to shelter guidelines, and support cooperative living while respecting the needs of each individual resident, in order to maintain a safe and clean shelter environment for all residents.
- Provide crisis intervention to clients as necessary.
- Attend to shelter security during assigned shift, including operation of alarm system. Conduct emergency drills on a bi-monthly basis, and as directed by supervisor.
- Respond to appropriate requests by clients, including early wake-up calls, access to necessary medications, food, personal supplies etc.
- Clean & organize linen storage closet. Includes washing linens, keeping items stored neatly on shelves, preparing welcome packets, and other duties needed to maintain a clean and sanitary environment.
- Maintain accurate records to include activities, client intake, hotline calls, service provision, etc. during assigned shift. Complete and submit weekly written Shelter Relief Program Report of program activities to supervisor.
- Participating in shift change procedures by sharing and discussing with appropriate co-workers any client issues, information, concerns which need to be passed on before ending your shift.
- Attend monthly relief staff meetings, and other agency meetings as directed by their supervisor.
- Communicate professionally and appropriately with staff and the public by observing confidentiality, staying focused on job tasks and demonstration active listening skill.
- Demonstrate ability to be an effective team member by communication openly, cooperating with other staff, demonstrating positive attitudes and working together to solve problems.
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively under supervision by being open to feedback, reporting on activities as directed, staying within the job description, following through on suggestions, and addressing any problems or concerns you may have, directly to your supervisor.
- Other duties an assigned by Shelter Director.
Two years experience in behavioral or social services setting. Awareness of trauma related issues and the dynamics of domestic violence. Ability to relate in a non-judgmental manner to victims of trauma, and an awareness of the principles of crisis intervention counseling. Ability to communicate with public and private agencies. Good written and verbal communication and problem-solving skills. Computer literacy, and valid driver’s license required.
Please send resume and cover letter to:firstname.lastname@example.org
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE INFORMATION
To comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and other applicable laws insuring equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, reasonable accommodations are made for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability unless an undue hardship, direct threat to health and safety or other job related consideration exists. Applicants or employees who require accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job should contact the Executive Director to request such an accommodation. The accommodation she/he is requesting or needs to perform the job should be specified. The request will be discussed, and if necessary, we will investigate barriers that make it difficult for the applicant or employee to have an equal opportunity to perform her/his job. Necessary accommodations will be made unless precluded by an undue hardship or other permissible considerations. AA/EOE